0

Turning the clock back

Posted by Kate on 2:40 PM
It isn't going to be too long before we are faced with the prospect of the end of daylight savings for another year. (Sunday April 1 for those who want to be organised). That means we get to get back an extra hour of life! I was thinking about this this morning as another weekend disappeared in to the ether.


The time equations in our household always seem to be in the red. Jobs are delayed rather than done and I have been known to bemoan the lack of an extra hour or two in the day, especially since having the little fish who seems to be an expert at making the hours fly by.


It seems that others have been thinking about the same things with some recent release of research on the topic. Apparently 30% would sleep, 20% would exercise and 50% would do a leisure activity. I don't think they could possibly be parents (well, maybe the sleepers). I'd still be using the hour in a frantic catchup on all the things I didn't get done earlier in the day and even then I'd only be able to if the little fish was one of those 30% sleeping.


Today I have been undertaking the zen activity of cleaning. Similar to the calligraphers who write their art in water, knowing that it is going to disappear, I have cleaned the couch three times, only to be thwarted by a combination of vegemite, ink and crayons. I have stacked books back on shelves for them to be rearranged on the floor again and wiped a nose optimistically a thousand times. It's not that I do nothing all day, it's just that I do the same thing over and over.


Would an extra hour change that? I'm not sure it would.




I've also recently had the added bonus of insomnia - frustrating because it seems to come with the paralysis of not actually being able to get out of bed, but the anxiety that I should be sleeping or doing something and not wasting another minute. Exhaustion is not helping my efficiency this week!


A different question would be what do you feel you are missing out on in your day? If there was unlimited time and a tree full of money, my answers would probably differ greatly!


As long as there is always time in the day for an extra story, an extra hug or a kiss, I'll be satisfied with 24 hours a day and I can postpone everything else until tomorrow....

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 My (m)Other Life All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.